Helping Hands


Zoe Lee studies at the Taiwan Fu Jen Catholic University.  She is a sophomore at Mass Communication. She is also a DJ. She was one of the volunteers for TAINDIA 2017.

What attracted you to TAINDIA?

Being a DJ has more complicated life than others, sometimes it's really stressful. I came to join TAINDIA because I wanted to do something for the society and find some peace for my life and my heart.

Was there a difference between your expectations and the reality of your experience in India?

I didn't expect that India has so many poor people. I can't even imagine how they can live by this. And the other culture shock is the dirty environment. They have no any perspective on recycling and dealing those garbage.

Can you tell us about a happy memory or what has been your best experience in this trip?

The best experience of this trip is definitely the service experience in Missionary of Charity. I had been sent to Shanti Dan, I've never thought that I could have this deep relationship with the patients there. Although they don't understand our languages, but I can feel that they really appreciate our serving. Once I helped a patient to go to bathroom, she can't move by herself. She was really uncomfortable because she peed on her pants. After we cleaned up her body and changed some new clothes, she used her whole strength to say "Thanks" to me and smiled. It's the moment that I realized that I can really do something for others. And I always realized that I might not be able to give them a better life, but I can do my best and be their company, giving them some happiness and joys. That's the most beautiful thing ever!!

And what has been the greatest challenge?

The greatest challenge must be the difficulty of language. In Shanti Dan, they won't tell you what to do. Even when they ask you to do something, you still won't be able to understand... All you can do is "watch and learn." You got to do it all by yourself.

What is it like being a female DJ in Taiwan? Do you feel DJing has emerged as a full-time career option now?

Being a female DJ in Taiwan is really interesting but also difficult. Mostly, female DJs are more commercial. Unfortunately, for many people "a good looking face" is necessary. And most people will expect you to play those pop songs they like, you can't play in way you like, you have to follow the flow. But for those who really understand electronic music, they won't care about your gander or how you look; all they care about is the design of track. So having your own style is the most important part of being a professional DJ. But this kind of DJ normally won't get high paid. On the other hand, in this community, you have to be really socializing; you got to have the wild and strong friend’s network. The more people you know, the more opportunities you'll get. For me, I prefer playing songs in my own way, so it would be hard to make it become a full-time career. Although I really want it, but I think as long as you start to be a commercial DJ, you would never be a professional.


What impact do you anticipate your India experience will have on your future?

This trip has given me many ideas on music. I would like to do a city sound record to remember the image of those places I have been to. We all have our own way to remember things, some by pictures, and some by writing. For me, sounds are the tools to tell stories. And I want to try to remix Tagore's songs to express my feelings for Kolkata. 

1 comment:

  1. This blog is having the general information. Got a creative work and this is very different one.We have to develop our creativity mind.This blog helps for this. Thank you for this blog. This is very interesting and useful.

    Java Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com